Building a Successful Basketball Program
KEY COMPONENTS OF THE STM Basketball program
- Individual training focusing on skill development utilizing drills developed for rapid improvement.
- Integration of legitimate academic issues into each student’s program ensuring success in the classroom and beyond.
- Provide an over-riding purpose to the program which is clearly visible to the players that goes beyond winning.
- Schedule the most challenging season possible with a regional and national component that will enable the players to showcase their talents in front of college coaches.
- Offer each student an individualized recruiting program focusing on NCAA guidelines, college options and eventual college placement.
- Create a year round individualized strength and conditioning program.
- Market each student athlete through the wide base of relationships with college programs.
- Live stream all practices, games and fall workouts.
- Emphasize all practices will be orderly, imaginative, competitive, planned, enjoyable and goal orientated.
A RECORD OF SUCCESS ON AND OFF THE COURT
Although always having tremendous success with wins and losses, that criteria has never been the focus of the STM basketball program. Our goals have always been to improve skill development, maximize exposure, redefine bodies, develop self- esteem and self –worth, offer the strongest schedule possible, compete on a National level and market each student athlete so they can easily transition into a school of higher learning that compliments that academic and athletic potential.
St. Thomas More has a well-recognized and well-respected tradition of excellence because our teams, players and coaches are known for their uncompromising work ethic. The foundations of our teams are centered on integrity and initiative. Colleges and Universities appreciate recruiting STM players because of the 60 year history of our alumni successfully transitioning into their schools is second to none.
SAMPLE SEASON ITINERARY
Fall: September – October
- Participate in organized workouts
- Attend mandatory strength and conditioning program
- Receive individual skill development workouts with coaches
- Utilize open gym time prior to the start of each school day, monitored by coaches
Winter: November – March
- Continue utilizing open gym time prior to the start of the school day
- Practice daily for 2 hours
- College coaches will continue to recruit and evaluate players by attending practice and games
- Meetings with the Head Coach to discuss recruitment, NCAA guidelines, academics, and athletic development
- Participate in NEPSAC AAA League and various other New England basketball leagues
- Offer the strongest possible regional and national schedule while following NCAA rules and regulations for competition
Spring: April – May
- Finalize placement process for all student-athletes
- Organize afternoon workouts to improve skill development while preparing upper class and PG students for their transition to collegiate athletics
- Continue individual and strength training programs
- Continue to open the gym prior to the start of each school day where coaches can monitor programs and offer instruction
- Invite coaches to campus to evaluate and recruit underclassmen and unsigned seniors
- Customize a program for each player’s needs that include a strength program and skill development work
- Contact college coaches to inform them of future student-athlete’s summer itinerary
- Participate in NEPSCA showcase each June
Recent Basketball Recruiting Results
- AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE
- ASSUMPTION COLLEGE
- BENTLEY UNIVERSITY
- BOSTON UNIVERSITY
- BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY
- CINCINNATI UNIVERSITY
- COAST GUARD ACADEMY
- COLGATE UNIVERSITY
- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
- CORNELL UNIVERSITY
- DAEMAN UNIVERSITY
- FORDHAM UNIVERSITY
- GARDNER WEBB UNIVERSITY
- GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY
- GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
- HARTFORD UNIVERSITY
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY
- IONA COLLEGE
- IOWA UNIVERSITY
- LASALLE UNIVERSITY
- LEMOYNE UNIVERSITY
- LOUISVILLE UNIVERSITY
- LYNN UNIVERSITY
- MARIST COLLEGE
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
- NIAGARA UNIVERSITY
- PEPPERDINE UNIVERSITY
- QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY
- RIDER UNIVERSITY
- SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY
- SAINT JOHN’S UNIVERSITY
- SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE UNIVERSITY
- ST. JOSEPH’S UNIVERSITY
- STONYBROOK UNIVERSITY
- STONEHILL UNIVERSITY
- TRINITY COLLEGE
- TULSA UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF ALBANY
- UNIVERSITY OF BUFFALO
- UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND – BALTIMORE COUNTY
- UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI – KANSAS CITY
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA – CHARLOTTE
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA
- UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE
- UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS EL PASO
- VILLANOVA UNIVERSITY
- YALE UNIVERSITY